Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) occurs as a result of problems with the jaw, jaw joint and surrounding facial muscles that control chewing and moving the jaw. This painful situation can affect both sides of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) and can be caused by a number of things:
- Malocclusion or ‘bad bite’, where teeth meet out of alignment while chewing
- Injury to the jaw, TMJ, or muscles of the head and neck – such as from a heavy blow or whiplash
- Grinding or clenching the teeth – often while sleeping
- Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
- Presence of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
- Stress, causing repeated tightening of facial and jaw muscles or teeth clenching
TMD has been linked to migraine headaches as well as a long list of painful afflictions, including:
- Stiff neck, aching jaws, shoulder pain
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Limited jaw movement – feeling ‘lock-jawed’
- Clicking of popping of the TMJ
- Cracked or worn teeth
TMD is most commonly experienced by people 20-40 years of age, but can occur at any age and can cause pain or disruptive discomfort for short periods or for many years.
Your Smiles by Hillside dentist can perform a TMJ examination that will track the movements of your jaw, its resting position and closure paths. Electromyography, Sonography and x-rays may be used to measure your jaw’s muscle functions and the jaw-to-skull relationship, as well as any abnormalities.
Relief of symptoms is brought about through a careful realignment of the malocclusion, using processes determined by your dentists’ examination. Once your jaw is returned to a natural position the strain on the muscles will be eliminated, relieving your TMJ symptoms.
If you suffer from any of the symptoms listed above, please contact us and end that suffering. You need relief and we can provide it.
If you are interested in Stop Migraines / TMD – please call us on 020 8346 0668 or send us a message through our form for your Initial Consultation!